Edo PDP-led Assembly directs commissioner to release LG allocations

Whatsapp News

BENIN – The PDP legislators in Edo State of Assembly, have passed a resolution directing Mr Lucky James, the Commissioner for Local Government to release allocations meant for local government councils to pay workers salaries.

Mr Festus Ebea, the deputy speaker, is the leader of the PDP led faction in the House.

The minority PDP legislators hold their plenary in the assembly complex, while the majority legislators sit in government

The resolution was passed on Tuesday in following a motion under matters of urgent public importance moved by Mr Emmanuel Okoduwa (PDP Esan North-East).

Moving the motion, Okoduwa said that workers in five local government councils in the state were currently on strike due the inability of their chairmen to pay staff salaries.

He listed the affected councils to include Orihionmwon, Ikpoba Okha, Oredo, Egor and Esan North East local government areas.

“It is unfortunate that for two months now, some local government workers have not been paid their salaries.

 “It is also sad that taxes have been deducted the of workers who have not been paid,’’ he said.
 Okoduwa recalled that the assembly had passed a resolution calling on the Commissioner for Local Government and the 18 local government chairmen to furnish the with all the receipts federal allocation.

Other lawmakers who spoke on the motion, called on the commissioner to return all monies deducted illegally federal allocation accruing to the councils to enable them pay salaries.

The PDP legislators also passed a resolution calling on Gov. Adams Oshiomhole to desist polarising the assembly by harbouring some legislators in government house.

The resolution was passed following a motion moved by Mr Emmanuel Okoduwa, (PDP Esan North East).

The PDP lawmakers observed that it was shameful that a part of the legislature had collapsed.

They contended that the move was an attempt by the governor to run a parliamentary system of government in a democracy.

They also called on the governor to stop interfering with legislative activities.

 Ebea directed that clean copies of the two resolutions be sent to the governor, commissioner for local government and chieftaincy affairs. (NAN)[eap_ad_3]