ABUJA – The 11th Aso Table Tennis Club (ATTC) Championships has been postponed indefinitely following the recent bomb blast at Nyanya area of Abuja.
The tournament was scheduled to take place at the Indoor Sports Hall of the Abuja National Stadium, from May 5 to May 11.
Olusegun Ajuwon, Chairman of ATTC, told newsmen in Abuja on Sunday that the competition was postponed in order not to endanger the lives of no fewer than 300 athletes expected to participate in the event.
He also said that the closure of government offices, including schools in Abuja from May 7 to May 9, for the World Economic Summit also necessitated the postponement.
Ajuwon said that a new date would be communicated to the public as soon as normalcy was restored.
“The tournament is being hosted by a club that does not enjoy the luxury of the security outfits in sufficient numbers and capacity.
“This is to guarantee a hitch-free championships and without any security breach at a time such as this.
“It is, therefore, a matter of being cautious, realistic and sensitive that warrants that we review the competition as previously planned,” Ajuwon added.
He noted that the club was in regular touch with the secretariat of the Nigeria Table Tennis Federation (NTTF) on the recent developments.
“The invitation for this year’s edition was directly handled by the NTTF which sent out letters to all the 36 states sports council and the FCT,” Ajuwon said.
At least N1.5 million is set aside for this year’s championships in addition to a brand new Kia saloon car.
The car is expected be won by the overall winner of the competition, who will also pocket N250, 000.
The second, third and fourth place finishers will also pocket various amounts as prize money when the competition commences at a later date. (NAN)