The World Bank is supporting the Government of Nigeria and the Oyo State Government to prepare the Ibadan Urban Flood Management Project (IUFMP) that aims at developing a long term flood risk management frame work by initiating risk assessment, community awareness and providing enough flexibility in the project design to make changes based on learning.
In furtherance of the implementation of the lbadan Urban Flood Management Project (IUFMP), applications are welcome from suitably qualified applicants to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Communication Consultant
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- The Project also supports capacity building for flood risk management in the city of Ibadan. It reinforces Oyo State Government’s early warning and response capabilities and leverages existing World Bank projects in Oyo State in support of the IUFMP.
- The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to “improve the capacity of Oyo State to manage flood risk and to respond effectively and promptly to flooding the city of Ibadan. Specifically, the Bank’s support will finance sonic priority investments related to improving the infrastructure of lbadan City, especially those destroyed by August 26, 2011 floods.
- The Banks support will help Ibadan reduce flood risks, improve waste collection and treatment, while developing and improving the quality of existing in infrastructural assets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Communication Consultant’s responsibilities shall be primarily to assist the Communication Specialist in the following areas (which include, but but are not limited to):
- Working to help develop a broad framework for the engagement of Stakeholders by creating awareness and educating them on the protect objective and implementation processes
- Support the PIU in planning community mobilization activities for sensitization and to promote ownership among beneficiaries of the project.
- Support the PIU by increasing stakeholder understanding of the project to ensure key reforms are pushed through.
- Support the Communication Specialist and the PIU with implementation of communication activities such as media training and orientation, project visibility, media consultations, client relations, etc.
- Support the project with strategically engaging targeted stakeholders through Social Media
- Advise the PIU with steps towards the branding of IUFMP
- Helping to provide communication structures for linking the participating government agencies at the various levels and ensuring fluid, proactive and sustainable interaction among time various stakeholders including the beneficiaries.
- Helping to generate themes and core take-away messages, and determine which communication channels would be suitable to reach each segment of the stakeholders towards achieving behaviour change
- Undertake any other additional task or responsibility as indicated in time Terms of Reference and those that may be assigned by the Project Coordinator for the achievement of the overall project objectives.
Qualifications/Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Sociology, Psychology or any of the Social Sciences.
- Minimum of 5 years cognate experience in Development and Strategic Communications or 12 years post-qualification experience in the print or electronic media, social and community mobilization, public relations or advertising.
- Some knowledge of flooding and environmental issues,
- Computer literacy and expertise in ICT and Social Media platforms is required.
- Fluency in the local language within the state (Yoruba) would be an advantage
- Good writing and oral communication skills as well as ability to organize events and functions.
- Demonstrated ability for teamwork
Duration of the Consultancy and Estimated Budget
The Communication Consultant will be engaged for the duration of 12 months with the possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance and justified demand.
This shall include the professional fees and other reimbursable expenses. Payment shall be based on 12 months equal instalment duration of consultancy contact.
Application Closing Date
31st August, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to include Curriculum Vitae and Photocopies of credentials (Signed and Sealed) with valid email address and phone numbers which should be addressed and delivered to:
The Project Coordinator,
Project Implementation Unit,
Ibadan Urban Flood Management Project,
2nd Floor, Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs Building,
State Government Secretariat,
Agodi – Ibadan,
Email: [email protected]
Note: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.