If i am to go by the list of the most popular Nigerian Musicians with Outstanding Performance in 2020, then many up and coming artistes who have done exceedingly well in 2020 won’t be mentioned, but we shall do justice by mixing up the list with both the popular and the up and coming who have done exceedingly well in 2020.
Frankly speaking, 2020 has really been a great year in the entertainment industry in Nigeria amidst the pandemic, with the growing numbers of new production studios and artists springing and finally coming to limelight has paved the way for a more vibrant and self-sustaining industry in the country. Most of Nigerian breed artistes have won many prestigious awards in international contests and events whilst many got nominated, even if they never got to win the awards they got nominated for, the nomination is an eye opener for them in the music and entertainment industry, hence attracting more and more investments from very many sources. The investments have no doubt aided production of world class quality music because of innovations in sounds, rhythms and recording techniques. Pace-setters, Nigerian musicians have developed a vast spectrum of music genres, blending hip-hop, rap, rhythm and blues, reggae, gospel.
Nigerian Musicians with Outstanding Performance in 2020
- Wizkid: Still maintaining his number one position in the list of the richest musicians in Nigeria, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun who was born on the 16 July 1990, known professionally as Wizkid, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. 2020 for wizkid has been a fun filled and activity filled year as he released and featured in Banging songs like Pami- by DJ Tunez, OPO – by 2baba, Escape- by Akon as well as his ‘Made in Lagos album’ which is the second most streamed after Davido’s Album, Wizkid’s Made in Lagos was released on October 30, 2020, and features guest appearances from British artists Skepta and Ella Mai, American R&B singer H.E.R., Jamaican artists Projexx and Damian Marley, and Nigerian artists Burna Boy, Tems, Tay Iwar and Starboy Terri.
- Davido: Also maintaining his second position among the list of richest Nigerian musicians in 2020, David Adedeji Adeleke who was born in November 21, 1992, known by his stage name as Davido is an American-born Nigerian singer, songwriter and as well one of the leading contemporary artist in Nigeria. Davido is also a record producer. He studied Business Administration at Oakwood University before dropping out to make beats and record vocal references. 2020 for Davido has been activity filled. it could be said that Davido is among the artistes who released more songs in 2020 with singles like 2020 letter to you, Lie for you, Mabel, and his latest and still trending album A Better Time Album, The new album houses 17 tracks and it boasts of guest appearances from Nicki Minaj, Lil Baby, Chris Brown, Young Thug, Mayorkun, Ckay, Mugeez, Hit-Boy, Nas, Sho Madjozi, Bella Shmurda and Sauti Sol.
- Burna Boy: Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, known popularly and professionally known by his stage name as Burna Boy, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, rapper and also a dancer. He rose to prominence in 2012 after releasing “Like to Party”, the lead single from his debut studio album L.I.F.E. Burna Boy is also one of those artists with an outstanding performance in 2020 with singles like Rockster, Winter, We must Grove, Sponono, Play play, Lenu amongst others, his recent released album happen to be among one of the most successfully launched albums in 2020, the album “Twice as Tall” is his fifth studio album and It was released on August 14, 2020, by Spaceship Entertainment, Atlantic Records and Warner Music. 11 songs from the 15 track album were produced by Nigerian producers 8 of whom are from the Spaceship Collective. LeriQ, Telz, P2J and Rexxie, while Mike Dean, Sean ”DIDDY” Combs, Timbaland, Skread and Jae5 added the spice to the sound, completing the 15 track album.
- Tiwa Savage: Tiwatope Savage who was born on the 5th February 1980 and known professionally by her stage name as Tiwa Savage, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter and actress. Born in Isale Eko, she relocated to London at the age of 11 for her secondary education. Five years later, she began her music career doing backup vocals for artists such as George Michael and Mary J. Blige. After participating in the UK edition of The X Factor and graduating from Berklee College of Music, Tiwa savage is one one of the female musicians out there with an outstanding performance in 2020 with trending singles like koroba which is currently trending with over six million views on YouTube, Gobe, Ginger, Let then know, temptations, forever among others, her current EP titled “CELIA” has been selected among the top ten in 2020 album by Time Magazine. Describing the album, Time Magazine says “the latest album from Savage, a Nigerian singer-songwriter who many call the “Queen of Afrobeats,” is characterized by an infectious buoyancy”. Celia is the third studio album by Nigerian singer Tiwa Savage. It was released on 27 August 2020, by Motown, Island Records, and Universal Music Group. Celia features guest appearances from Sam Smith, Naira Marley, Stefflon Don, Dice Ailes, Davido, and Hamzaa.
- Tekno Miles: Augustine Miles Kelechi, popularly known as Tekno as his stage name is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. Tekno miles is from the Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. He was born in Bauchi State into a family of six — five boys and one girl. He was raised in several parts of the country including Nasarawa, Kaduna and Abuja due to the fact that his father was an officer of the Nigerian Army. Tekno is among the Nigerian artists of 2020 with outstanding performance with singles like Agege, Rara, Sudden, Show me your Back, kata, beh beh, PuTTin, Dana, Sku Sku among host of other, Tekno launched his Debut album in 2020 titled “Old Romance” with old romance being the current and most trending of his two albums of 2020. The 14-track Old Romance Album is a 40-minute love story; from an encounter with a beautiful young lady into a relationship, roadblocks and then the final breakup – with a key focus on the peculiarities of African relationships and culture.
- Wurld: Sadiq Onifade, known professionally by his stage name as WurlD, wurlD is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. Born in Lagos, Nigeria, WurlD relocated to Atlanta, Georgia to pursue his secondary education and record music. He describes his style of music as electro-fusion. He released his debut EP Evolution in 2013. and has currently been making waves after his debut release of his 2020 album titled Afrosoul, the 7-track album featured Zeal of VVIP. Consequently, the “Afrosoul” EP has the production assistance from; Shizzi, Del B, Spax, TMXO and others. Also he co released another album with Sarz titled I love girls with Trouble among other singles.
- Adekunle Gold: Adekunle Kosoko, popularly and professionally known as Adekunle Gold, is a Nigerian high-life singer, songwriter and a professional graphic designer -if not legendary. He gained widespread attention after releasing the 2015 hit single “Sade”, a high-life cover of One Direction’s “Story of My Life”. Adekunle Gold could be considered the only artist with the highest released albums in 2020, Adekunle Gold has currently released 1 album in 2020 titled Afro Pop, Vol. 1. He is supposedly among the list of Nigerian Musicians with Outstanding Performance in 2020.
Aside from the above trending artistes, there have also been some notable breakthroughs in the Nigerian music industry this year alone from artistes like Rema with so many hit singles, Joeboy, Omah lay with the successful launch of his Get Layd EP, his latest classic album titled “What Have We Done EP“ is another current trend in 2020 and he has been doing really well and performing in live concerts as well.
Do You have an Artiste you think is worth mentioning? Drop A comment so we know.