ABUJA – A 40 years old Liberian, who was intercepted at the Murtala Muhammad International Airport in Lagos, has died from Ebola viral disease on July 25, says the Minister of Health. Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu,
The minister said this in Abuja at a news briefing on the Ebola viral disease outbreak on Friday.
Chukwu said that the ministry was alerted on July 22, on a suspected case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in Lagos involving a 40 year old male traveling from Monrovia, Liberia to Nigeria.
He said that the passenger presented with fever, vomiting and diarrhea on arrival at the airport.
“The Port Health Division of the Federal Ministry of Health quickly isolated the passenger and transported him to a hospital, avoiding contact with the general public.
“The patient was subjected to thorough medical evaluation where laboratory investigation was also carried out.
“His blood sample was taken to the advanced laboratory at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, which confirmed the diagnosis of Ebola virus disease,’’ Chukwu said.
He said that the result was corroborated by International Laboratory in Dakar and Centre for Disease Control, U.S.
“Despite the urgent specialised barrier nursing care provided for the patient in a Lagos hospital, the patient unfortunately passed away in the early hours of July 25,’’ the minister said.
Chukwu said in order to prevent the spread, all the passengers that the patient came in contact with had been traced and were being investigated.
He said that in line with WHO International Health Regulations and International Best Practice, all ports of entry in Nigeria, including airports, seaports and land boarders had been placed on “Red Alert’’.
“Active surveillance has been stepped up, all the government tertiary health institutions in Nigeria, have been equipped to handle any emergency that may arise from this disease.
“Drugs and medical consumables are presently pre-positioned while we are working with all the states of the federation, especially those with ports of entry to mitigate the situation,’’ Chukwu said.
He said that an Emergency Operation Centre had been established and would be coordinated by the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control.
Mr Labaran Maku, the Minister of Information said jingle had been made available in different languages to educate the public on the danger of the virus.
Maku advised that people should practice good personal hygiene to avoid contracting the virus. (NAN)