On Friday September 15, 2023, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu approved the nomination of Dr. Olayemi Michael Cardoso as the new Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Here are major 10 things to know about him.
- Olayemi Cardoso is a banker, chartered stockbroker, and public policymaker from Nigeria.
- He has made substantial contributions to the financial industry and has held several leading roles.
- Dr. Yemi Cardoso is a financial and development expert who has worked in the private, public, and non-profit sectors for over thirty years. He is now the Chairman of Citibank Nigeria’s Board of Directors.
- Throughout his career, he has made substantial contributions to many organizations and played an important part in defining Nigeria’s economic development.
- Cardoso obtained a Master’s degree from the Harvard Kennedy School in public administration.
- Cardoso was a member of the Cities Alliance’s Africa Think Tank Group, a group created to solve urban development challenges.
- He has served as a board member of MRS Oil and was the chairman of the board of EFinA.
- The CBN boss is a member of the advisory board of Lagos Business School and chairman of the board of African Venture Philanthropy Alliance.
- He is the founding chairman and co-chair of Ehingbeti Summit, the Lagos state economic summit.
- Cardoso is also a former executive lead at Harvard Kennedy School Alumni Association.