By Segun Giwa
Akure – The Ondo State Government, has said that it would soon embark on the demolition of beer parlours and other illegal attachments in Government Reserved Areas (GRAs) of the state.
The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr Rasheed Badmus made this disclosure in Akure on Wednesday at an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
“The executive council has mandated our ministry that all beer parlours in Alagbaka and Ijapo should be demolished. Also Owo, Ore, Ondo and and other major cities in the state will be affected.
“We have visited and served them a quit notice that we will not tolerate any attachment in our GRAs. It seems that most of the people engaging in this illegal activities did not respond.
“GRA is not meant for beer parlours or attachments. Very soon, the demolition will start, all attachments will be touched,” he said.
Badmus said that the decision to demolish the structures was reached months back during one of the State Executive Council meetings, saying that illegal structures that were not approved would not be allowed to stand.
He also cited security as another reason for the planned demolition, saying that governemt was not comfortable with late night activities of some elements patronising the areas.
“After drinking, they are always terrorising the area, we have given them notice more than ten months now,” he said.
The commissioner said that notice had been issued to the owners of the affected structures but said that no step had been taken by them to remove them.
Badmus explained that government would not pay compensation to the owners of the structures already marked for demolition.