Home Top Stories Osinbajo in Kano, visits scene of explosion

Osinbajo in Kano, visits scene of explosion

303
0

KANO – Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Tuesday afternoon arrived in Kano State and immediately headed to the scene of an explosion that happened in the morning.

Osinbajo was accompanied to the scene by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano state as response teams continue to restore normalcy.

The Vice President is expected to hold a number of meetings while he is in Kano. In a tweet by his spokesperson, Laolu Akande, he said, “VP Osinbajo accompanied by Kano Gov. expresses condolences with victims of the explosion and their relatives, while also wishing the injured speedy recovery. He is now departing the scene of the explosion in Sabon Gari, focusing on the planned consultations in Kano for the day.”

According to National Emergency Management Agency and Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development have both confirmed that nine persons have been confirmed dead.

“Nine dead bodies have been recovered so far from the rubble of a collapsed building beside a primary school following explosions from gas cylinder at Aba Road in Sabon Gari area of Kano,” the Humanitarian ministry said.

Adding that, “NEMA DG, Mustapha Habib Ahmed is at the site of the incident and coordinated the rescue operations.”

“Two persons injured by the explosion were taken for treatment at Airforce Hospital, Kano. The rescue operation has been concluded following the complete removal of the rubble from the location.”

The Kano state government in its reaction by the commissioner for information, Malam Muhammad Garba said the incident happened at an animal feed store opposite the school along Aba Road, Sabon Gari area of Fagge local government.

He said while the cause of the explosion and the damage it had done is yet to be officially ascertained, the investigation has since commenced to determining the cause, impact and measures to be taken.

Malam Garba called on the people in the state, particularly those living in the area where the incident occurred to remain calm while the government in collaboration with relevant agencies are working on the matter.

The commissioner assured that government would keep the public abreast of any development and warned people to desist from spreading unsubstantiated news. (TheNewsGuru)

Loading...
Previous articlePresident Buhari congratulates new Somali president, Hassan Mahmud
Next article2023 Presidency: Adesina reacts to calls to contest, says he’s committed to work Nigerians, African shareholders have given him at ADB

Leave a Reply