Home Metro Prison break: Defence Minister confirms 64 Boko Haram suspects escaped

Prison break: Defence Minister confirms 64 Boko Haram suspects escaped

287
0

By GAMI TADANYIGBE

KUJE- The Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi says 64 Boko Haram suspects escaped from the Kuje custodial after the attack on the facility on Tuesday night.

Addressing newsmen after taking an assessment tour of the facility, the Minister said the attack started around 10:30pm with heavy gunfire and explosions.

He said they came in their numbers, gained entrance into the prison and released some of the inmates who are now at large adding that some had been recaptured.

“Very soon, we will give you the correct figure of the inmates that were taken, aside that, we are trying to see what we can do to ensure that all escapees are returned.

“The prison is accommodating about 994 inmates, over 600 escaped and many have been recaptured and brought back to the prison.

“Maybe by the close of the day, more will have been captured and returned.

“I think everything is under control and the people who came to do this activity, from the records, we believe they belong to a particular group.

“Most likely, they are Boko Haram members because we have a sizeable number of Boko Haram suspects in detention, and presently we cannot locate any of them.

“I think they are about 64 in the prison and none of them is available now, they have all escaped,” he said.  (NAN)

Loading...
Previous articleOyo assembly shuns court order, directs Chief Judge to investigate Deputy Gov
Next articleUPDATE: 4 inmates die, 16 injured as 879 escape in Kuje custodial centres

Leave a Reply