Abuja- The military said it had yet to verify reports of alleged kidnapping of scores of villagers at Gumsuri in Borno, earlier in the week.
It said that the report was being investigated.
This is contained in a statement posted in the Defence Headquarters website on Friday.
It, however, confirmed the attack and killing of some people during the incident.
The statement said the reported abductions as claimed by unidentified sources being quoted in some foreign media had yet to be verified from any credible source in the community.
It said reports, mainly from foreign sources, gave conflicting number of persons seized by the terrorists, adding that while some put the figure at 100, others gave as high as 200.
“While some claimed that it (incident) happened on Sunday, others said the raid was conducted on Wednesday.
It, however, said troops were patrolling the general area of Gumsuri in search of terrorists who were said to have carried out the attack.
The statement said that the troops were ordered to sustain the patrol to ensure that terrorists did not have “freedom of action’’ in the area while the counter-terrorism campaign continued.
“Some of the villagers who fled during the attack have started returning to the village.
“Normal life has also returned to the area. The surveillance and patrol of the area by air and land forces have been stepped up to secure the general area,’’ the statement said. (NAN)