The PUNCH had earlier reported that the COVID-19 was detected by the African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases in the Redeemers University, Ede, Osun State nearly three weeks ago.
- The Indian COVID-19 variant is officially known as B.1.617.
- The variant was first detected in India in October 2020.
- 3.The variant has been classified by the World Health Organization as a “variant of global concern”.
- Between January and March, the variant was detected in 220 out of 361 Covid samples from Maharashtra, a state in Western India.
- Experts around the world believe that the variant is rapidly spreading and has an impact on the second wave of COVID-19 in India.
- According to WHO, the variant has been discovered in 44 countries as it was detected in more than 4,500 samples that were uploaded from those countries.