The Presidency has debunked reports, that President Goodluck Jonathan’s delegation to the United States for the African/American Leaders Summit was screened for exposure to the dreaded Ebola virus on arrival at Washington DC.
According to reports from Punch, Jonathan and some top government officials arrived the US on Sunday for the summit scheduled for Monday.
A Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, had died in a Lagos hospital of the dreaded virus. All those who had contacts with the deceased whose remains had since been cremated were being observed by the Federal Government.
There were reports earlier the President and his delegation might be screened for the virus.
Dr. Reuben Abati, the presidential spokesman disclosed via his Twitter handle that no member of the President’s entourage was screened.
“Nobody took any Ebola test, please,” the presidential spokesman wrote in a response to a question raised by one Okunola Bukky.
Abati had earlier twitted some of the photographs of the President taken on his arrival at the airport while being received by top US and Nigerian government officials.[eap_ad_2] Based on the photographs, Bukky asked Abati, “please, confirm to us if the entourage took Ebola test…”
Independent investigation conducted by our correspondent also showed that none of the members of the President’s advance team who arrived in the US on Friday and Saturday was screened of the virus.
“Why will we be screened? How? By who? There is nothing like that. At least, nobody screened me,” a member of the President’s advance team who arrived in the US on Saturday told our correspondent on Sunday.
Two African leaders had already said that they would not attend the meeting because of the outbreak of the Ebola disease in their countries.
The leaders are the presidents of Liberia and Sierra Leone, Mrs. Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf and Ernest BaiKoroma, respectively[eap_ad_3]