Death toll in Guinea’s Ebola outbreak hits 80

Spread the love

 

Whatapp NewsTelegram News

DAKAR – The Ebola death toll in Guinea has risen to 80, while 122 suspected cases have been registered, health authorities said on Tuesday.

Medical charity, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) warned that the outbreak was “unprecedented’’ because the spread of the disease across Guinea made it very difficult to control.

“We are facing an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country,’’ MSF project coordinator, Mariano Lugli said.

President Alpha Conde announced a “health emergency,’’ but snubbed Guinea’s northern neighbour, Senegal, which closed its borders to protect its population from the virus, for causing panic.

In Liberia, to Guinea’s south-east, at least two people died from the virus.

However, the health ministry announced at least 11 suspected cases last week.

Ebola is one of the most contagious viral diseases known, often resulting in death.

Report says that the virus cannot be prevented with a vaccine and is untreatable with medication. (dpa/NAN)


Spread the love