By Chibuike Nwabuko
Abuja (Sundiata Post) -In a rowdy session on Monday, members of Edo State House of Assembly impeached Dr. Justin Okonoboh following an impeachment notice signed by 16 out of 24-member Assembly.
The lawmakers immediately elected Mr. Kabiru Adjoto as the new speaker.
The new leadership of the House therefore suspended Okonoboh, his deputy, Mrs Elizabeth Ativie and the former majority Leader, Mr. Foly Ogedengbe.
The impeached speaker was said to have been found guilty of some infractions.
The alleged offenses against Dr. Justin Okonoboh by the lawmakers are:
· Fact that he shut down the House to attend his son’s graduation in the United States.
· Okonoboh ran the House like a private enterprise
· Adjourning the sitting of the House and awarding contracts without due process despite several cautions.
· Not being transparent about the funds that accrued to the House.
· Okonoboh’s wife uses her husband’s official vehicle and tries to influence the decisions of the House.