One of the presidential media aides, Ms. Lauretta Onochie, has denied her membership of the ruling All Progressives Congress before the Senate Committee on the Independent National Electoral Commission.
She, however, admitted swearing to an oath at an Abuja Federal High Court that she was a member of the APC.
An affidavit deposed to by Onochie on June 30, 2021, affirming her APC membership and volunteer activities at the Buhari Support Organisation
She told the committee that she stopped being a member of the ruling party immediately after the 2019 elections.
Onochie further told the panel that Mrs. May Agbamuche, a serving INEC National Commissioner from Delta State, represents Cross River on the INEC board.
The content of Onochie’s June 30, 2021 sworn affidavit states as follows:
In the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in the Abuja Judicial Division Holden at Abuja
Between Lauretta Onochie Plaintiff
PLAINTIFF’S WITNESS STATEMENT ON OATH
I, LAURETTA ONOCHIE, Nigerian citizen, of c/o 13 Nouakchott Street. Wuse Zone 1, Abuja, Nigeria, do make an oath and state as follows:
- That I am the Plaintiff in this case by virtue of which I am conversant with the facts of this case.
- That I am an educationist having served as Headmistress of Auntie Margaret International School, Calabar and Principal of Holy Child Secondary School, Calabar. I have also served as a Lecturer at the Epping Forest College, Essex, United Kingdom.
- That I am also engaged in active politics and a member of Neighbourhood Watch and has also contested the Local Government Elections under the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom. I am also a member of the All Progressives Congress and a volunteer at the Buhari Support Organisation (BSO).
- That I am also a Community Leader end founder of Ndi Anioma of Nigeria (a cultural organization). I am also a mother and grandmother.
5.That the Defendant is a blogger and social commentator whose blogs and commentaries enjoy wide circulation and readership in Nigeria and abroad.
- That as a function of my position, I am at the forefront of the campaign for the girl-child emancipation and women empowerment.
- That as a result of my distinct excellence in my endeavours, I have received several commendations and awards by several individuals and organisations both in Nigeria and abroad.
- That as a part of the Defendant’s blogging and social community activities, the Defendant created and established a Facebook forum or group known as DUE PROCESS ADVOCATES” whose membership is open to all.