Abuja – The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Monday said it was unaware of any proposed forensic investigation by the National Sports Commission (NSC) into the retirement of some Super Eagles players.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Alhassan Yakmut, the NSC Director-General, had last week said the commission would carry out a forensic investigation into the players’ retirement.
He had also said the Super Eagles’ Code of Conduct, planned to be introduced and implemented by the NFF, would be suspended until the outcome of the investigation.
Mohammed Sanusi, General Secretary of the NFF, however said the federation was yet to hear from the NSC over the investigation and the suspension of the players’ code of conduct.
“I can’t talk about what I have not been informed about. So, I will wait until I get a letter or information from the NSC before I talk.
“But, as far as I am concerned, I have not received anything (on the investigation) yet,’’ he said.
Sanusi said the NFF was presently concerned about the Super Eagles’ 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Swaziland this month.
NAN reports that the first and return leg matches against Swaziland are billed for Nov. 13 and Nov. 17, in Lobamba and Port Harcourt respectively.
“We always make sure we prepare the team for every competitive and non-competitive match. This one will not be an exception.
“We are doing everything possible to ensure that we prepare in good time, and arrangements are in top gear,’’ the NFF general secretary said.
Sanusi, who did not rule out the possibility of the team playing a friendly before the games, however said the team’s Head Coach had not requested for any.(NAN)