Quick intervention saves Abakaliki market from blaze




ABAKALIKI – The timely intervention of men of the fire service on Friday saved the Abakpa Main Market in Abakaliki from being razed.
The Chairman of the Abakpa Main Market Association, Mr Emeka Nwome, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abakaliki that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.
He, however, said that respite came with the quick arrival of the men of the Ebonyi Fire Service Command.
“Only one shop located on Ikwo Line was razed and the quick response prevented it from spreading.
“The shop stocks leather bags of different types and sizes. The market security was able to inform the management on time.
“I also called the electricity officials and they turned off the supply to the market to forestall its escalation,” Nwome said.
He noted that for safety purposes, the police command from Akeaba division were around the market premises to prevent people from looting the shops.
“We will not allow this to happen again. There is need for strong preventive measures to deal with fire in the market.
The Director of the state fire service, Mr Simon Mkpuma, said the concrete walls of the market stalls saved the situation.
“We advise traders not to attach structures or project the structures for shade with dangerous materials to avoid easy spread of fire when it occurs,’’ he said.
Mr Sunday Onu, the trader whose shop was affected, said it was electricity surge in the course of the on-and-off supply of electricity in the market. (NAN)

Whatapp News

Telegram News