Gunmen run riot in Anambra; attack police station, set INEC office on fire •Eyewitness gives details

Whatsapp News

AWKA – Residents of Secretariat Road Awka are currently on edge following reports of attack at B Division Police Station the capital.

The station is located opposite the massive Jerome Udoji Secretariat built by the Peter Obi Administration.

Information has that the were shooting the air and attacking commuters plying the area late Sunday night, 23 May 2021.

According to a voice note by a yet to be identified person, he ran into the on his way home after dropping off a friend.

The voice note which appeared to have been sent to a friend said: “ brothers, pls thank God for me. Jnr ’s gun shot at Ekwueme. Jnr. I went to drop Makuo at your house when I heard the gunshots. Afterwards, I went to buy something for family and head home.

“As I driving home, I ran into this face to face at B Police Division and they stopped me. I asked to door as he trying to . I told him my door doesn’t , thinking at first that it was police. He was trying to the door to my car but it couldn’t open.

“He asked me to off my full light. In the process, I noticed that the driver of the car before me had been pushed into the gutter while another one fell into a dish directly opposite Apex .

“In fear and confusion, my mind told to reverse and run, I speedily did that and hit one and escaped. My brother, that how I escaped, if I would have been a dead man this night.”

It also gathered that after attacking the police station, the gunmen stormed the office of the Independent national Electoral Commission (INEC) and set it on fire before driving away.

A source said the gunmen that stormed the police station in three Hilux vehicles, shot for more an hour, made a stop at Ekwueme Square where they shot for about 10 minutes, before proceeding to INEC office.

The number of casualties was yet to be ascertained as at the time of filling this report.

Efforts to speak with the Police Public (PPRO), DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, failed as his mobile phone was reachable. (News Express)