NEW YORK – The Human Rights Watch (HRW), said in New York on Monday that its chief was prevented from entering Egypt, where he intended to launch a report on the killing of hundreds of Islamist protesters last year.
Omar Shakir, HRW official, said Kenneth Roth, Executive Director, HRW, was held overnight at Cairo Airport and was due to be put on a plane back to the U.S. [eap_ad_1] He said the group would launch a major report on Tuesday about the break-up by security forces of the Rabaa al-Adawiya protest camp in Aug. 2013.
Shakir said report by Egypt’s state-appointed National Council for Human Rights, noted that 628 supporters of deposed Islamist president Mohammed Morsi, and eight members of the security forces, were killed when police stormed the huge sit-in in eastern Cairo.
He said the protesters had camped out around Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque for six weeks, calling for Morsi, Egypt’s first freely-elected president, to be reinstated. (dpa/NAN)